Two girls from Erie started the prestigious IMG Academy Junior World Championships on a decidedly high note on Tuesday in San Diego.
Hailey Schalk made an eagle, shot an even-par 72 and shares ninth place after the opening round of the girls 13-14 tournament. She trails leader Riona Higa of Japan by seven strokes with two rounds remaining.
And Hadley Ashton fired a 3-over-par 60 and is tied for third place in the girls 7-8 division. Ashton was 2 under par for her first 10 holes Tuesday before going 5 over the rest of the way.
The action for most of the tournaments will conclude on Thursday, while the oldest boys and girls divisions will continue through Friday.
Here are the scores of all the Coloradans competing this week:
Dillon Stewart of Fort Collins 81
74. Lauren Lehigh of Loveland 79
91. Caroline Jordaan of Cherry Hills Village 81
110. Jack Hughes of Snowmass 79
124. Jordan Jennings of Montrose 80
140. Beam Boonta of Centennial 84
9. Hailey Schalk of Erie 72
94. Emma Bryant of Aurora 84
98. Marie Jordaan of Cherry Hills Village 85
130. Luke Olkowski of Grand Junction 86
87. Katelyn Lehigh of Loveland 93
88. Sofia Choi of Littleton 95
80. Booth Hayes of Frederick 99
3. Hadley Ashton of Erie 60